We have been monitoring the spread of COVID-19 closely. We are in uncharted waters, and we need to continue to take swift action to assist all Virginians through this crisis. I am in communication today with the Governor to see how the state can assist our citizens and businesses through this extraordinary time. I am asking the Governor to provide meaningful relief and stand ready to return to Richmond if measures are needed beyond his executive powers. I would like to thank the Governor for his leadership during this time and encourage everyone to follow CDC guidelines and practice safe social distancing. With the closures of schools and many workplaces, some community services are adapting or offering additional resources during this time. For more information on COVID-19 and what you can do to be safe, please visit the Virginia Department of Health’s website or the CDC website.
Below are just a few options and announcements affecting District 25 residents. We will update this list as we receive more information.
Regarding School Closures
We understand that the sudden closures of schools creates food insecurity for students on free or reduced lunch programs. Each locality is handling this differently. Please monitor your local school systems’ website and Facebook page to see current plans as they are updating frequently. Some school systems have not finalized their plans yet, but are anticipating something soon.
- Albemarle County: Student Meal Service During School Closure
- Alleghany County: Alleghany County Public Schools
- Buena Vista City: Buena Vista City Public Schools
- Charlottesville City: Neighborhood Meal Delivery During Closure
- Covington City: Coronavirus Updates
- Highland County: COVID-19 Emergency Food Program
- Lexington City: Official Website – City Schools
- Nelson County: Health and Wellness Update
- Rockbridge County: COVID-19 Information
- If you are a member of the UVA community and are unable to leave grounds, UVA Food Pantry provides food and toiletries in the SAC building (1st floor of Newcomb Hall)
- SupportCville has a cultivated list of ways to provide and get help, including monetary, delivery of supplies, and legal concerns
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association will still be accepting help applications via phone and email. They will also be operating their food pantry on a drive-up basis. If you are low-risk, please consider volunteering
Do you know of an organization providing additional services during this time? Do you have opportunities for volunteering? Send us an email at [email protected].
We will do our best to provide updates and new information on social media.